Please use this identifier to cite or link to this item: https://scholarhub.balamand.edu.lb/handle/uob/6361
Title: St Peter and Paul, Antakya's Christian Greek Orthodox Cathedral
Other Titles: كاتدرائية مار بطرس وبولس للروم الارثوذكس في انطاكية
Authors: Naseh, Josef
Keywords: St. Peter
St. Paul
Antakya's Christian Orthodox Cathedral
Issue Date: 2006
Publisher: University of Balamand
Part of: Chronos
Issue: 13
Start page: 403
End page: 407
Abstract: 
The first St Peter and Paul's cathedral in Antakya was built in 1833 after permission was granted by Ibrahim Pasha, the son of Egypt's Khedive Mohamed Ali Pasha, during the Egyptian occupation. It was built in the Cenine {garden} district in the Southern part of Antakya, where lived at that time many Greek Orthodox believers of the Patriarchate of Antioch. The cathedral belonged to the local Syrian-Greek architectural style but it was rather ordinary, and built mainly of wood. Between 1849 and 1852 it was restored by permission of the Ottoman Government and the garden in front of the entrance was enlarged.
URI: https://scholarhub.balamand.edu.lb/handle/uob/6361
Open URL: Link to full text
Type: Journal Article
Appears in Collections:Chronos

Show full item record

Record view(s)

27
checked on Jul 20, 2024

Google ScholarTM

Check


Items in DSpace are protected by copyright, with all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated.